Pages

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

The Cake Ball!


Everyone needs to know how to make cake balls. Everyone! I used to teach school with a lady that talked about how the process was grueling and took two days to make and they never came out the same. I decided to give it a try..... First attempt was terrible. Soon enough I figured out the technique and it became easier and easier each time. Now I think I am pretty darn good at it! Cake balls are so spectacular, cute and perfect mix of moist and cake, but really they're pretty simple. You can make a cake ball for every occasion and if there is a blemish or mishap, cover it with sprinkles or drizzle over it. Tah..dah! No one will ever know. I used Strawberry Cake Mix and Cream Cheese frosting but you can use whatever you like. The possibilities are endless! I have made so many different combinations and they have all turned out terrific! Welcome to the world of cake balls! 


Ingredients
1 box cake mix plus the ingredients to make a cake per box directions
1 tub of store bought frosting
1 bag of candy melts (sometimes it takes 1 1/2 bags) You can find these at Wal-Mart, Target, Hobby Lobby, Michael's)
Sprinkles, nuts...whatever you want to be on the outside of the cake ball


Bake your cake per box directions in a 9x13 inch pan.  Once the cake has been baked and cooled, crumble your baked cake in a large mixing bowl.  Add 3/4 of the container of store bought frosting to crumbled cake.  Combine cake crumbles and frosting together. This process is easiest for me to use my hands to mix it together.  Form cake mix into round balls (ping pong sized).  Place each ball on a baking sheet lined with wax paper.  Once all of your balls are formed, place baking sheet in the freezer to firm (I normally freeze them for two hours.)

Once you're ready to start decorating your cake balls, leave them in the freezer and get everything else ready.  You want your cake balls really cold to help with the decorating.   I normally pull out 10 cake balls at a time. In a microwavable bowl, melt your chocolate (stir every 30 seconds until all melted).  Once chocolate is melted, drop your ball into the chocolate and coat. Then, get a spoon and pull it out... Now, here is the method that helped me so much, BANG YOUR SPOON ON THE EDGE OF THE BOWL TO GET ALL THE EXCESS CHOCOLATE OFF!!!!  Once covered, put back on to wax paper and immediately decorate with sprinkles (if you wait til they dry, the sprinkles don't stick).  Continue process. I also decorate using an icing bag and drizzle over it using other colors (or even the same color of candy melts). 

Once your cake balls have been dipped, sprinkled, decorated, place in the fridge until ready to serve.

These are a hit with anyone and everyone. I have also put them on sticks to make cake pops (this makes it easy for kids). Any time there is an event, my phone is ringing and they are requesting I bring cake balls! So, try them, you will LOVE them!!!

Other combinations:
white cake with cream cheese frosting
red velvet with cream cheese frosting
lemon with cream cheese frosting
chocolate with chocolate






No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik