Pages

Monday, May 11, 2015

Road Trips With Your Kids




Are We There Yet? Are We There Yet? 
Today I am doing a post about taking road trips with kids. I always have people ask me about traveling because we have traveled a lot with Kinsley. Once Witten got here, we didn't travel as much (not sure why). Most of our adventures have been by plane, but we are planning two road trips: Colorado and Galveston. 

Beau and I love traveling. Sometimes we travel with our kids and sometimes we travel just the two of us. 

1. Leave late at night or early morning. 
We always try to leave late at night or early morning. This makes things so much easier. If you leave at night, they can sleep in the car. I normally give them a bath, put on their pjs and they're set. We get to our destination, check in and get back in bed. Perfect. If you leave early morning, they seem to nap better. 

2. Blankets!
Bring their blankets! Must do... I have noticed that if they are covered with a blanket, they tend to be more content. 

3. Music/Movies/Activities
I bring iPads, movies, coloring books, crayons, stickers, paper, little toys. I always bring a few familiar movies and a couple new ones. I also put a couple on each child's iPad and bring earphones. 

4. Dress Comfortably!
I always dress my kiddos in something comfortable when we are traveling. Pjs, cotton shorts, t-shirts... and toms or flip flops. This makes it easy to put on and off when you have to make pit stops. 

5. Pack snacks or candy
I always pack easy snacks: pouches, crackers, pretzels, trail mix, fruit snacks. On vacations we normally indulge... so that means candy too. My kids like Mike & Ikes, Skittles, etc. 

6. Pack a bag that is easy access if needed. 
I always try to keep a fully stocked bag in my super cool minivan... haha. Ok, so the minivan is just a season and I won't always drive one, but for now it's the most practical for us. Back to the subject: 

Inside your bag:
an extra set of clothes/undies for each child
wipes, pull-ups (if this is your season)
5 LARGE ziplocs
sunscreen
bug spray
snacks
basic first aid supplies
bottles, pacifiers, burp cloths, etc (if this is your current season)

7. WIPES, grocery bags, did I mention, WIPES? 
We use lots of wipes and I like to put trash in the grocery bag. Then, at our next stop, toss it in the trash can. I also keep hand sanitizer in my van at all times. We use after the park, before we eat (if your kids are anything like mine, they snack a lot). 

I hope that helped if you are planning a road trip with your family. I can't wait for ours to get here! My kids keep asking: "When are we going to the mountains?" "When are we going to the beach?" They are THRILLED... and I can't wait either! I always have so much fun with my family. 

What are your tips for traveling with kiddos on a road trip? I would love to hear some other things you do to make it easier. I love to hear from you, so leave me a comment or contact me via email. 

If this is your first time stopping by, I'm glad you did. Follow along or follow me on bloglovin'. 

Follow me on instagram: https://instagram.com/christyd2010/











No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik