Pages

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Chicken Pillows

I was on a search for something different to make for dinner tonight. I found this recipe on Chef in Training today and decided this was going to be dinner tonight. I made them with the help of both of my kiddos. Let me tell you something, these were AMAZING! I did make a few minor changes to mine. My husband told me they remind him of a chicken pot pie and they did (a little). Anyway, they were easy & delicious, two things I like when I am cooking with two little ones. This recipe will definitely make it into our rotation. I served ours with mashed potatoes and green beans, however it would pair well with a salad or something lighter also. 


Chicken Pillows or as Kinsley would say, Chicken Puffs. :)



Shopping List

1 (8 oz) can of Pillsbury Crescent Rolls or you could use Grands Homestyle Biscuits
8 oz cream cheese (softened) (I used 1/3 less fat version)
1/4 cup of butter (softened)
2-3 cups of cooked chicken (shredded)
1 egg
1 sleeve of saltine crackers (crushed) (I actually only used about 1/2-3/4 of a sleeve)
1 can of cream of chicken soup
1-2 tbs of sour cream (I used light sour cream)
1/3 cup of milk 
1/2 cup of cheese (I used an Italian blend because that's what I had on hand)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Soften 1/4 cup of butter and 8 oz cream cheese, stir until creamy. Add cooked, shredded chicken and stir.

Layout the 5 biscuits or 8 crescents (whichever you chose to use). Spread them out on the cookie sheet and drop a few spoonfuls of the chicken mixture in the center of the dough. Fold the dough around the chicken to form a pillow. 

In a separate, smaller bowl beat the egg and 2 tbs of water. 
Dip the pillow into the blended egg and then roll in the crushed crackers. Place on a lightly sprayed cookie sheet (I use Pam on mine). Repeat the process for the other pillows. 


Bake at 400 for 15-18 minutes. Keep an eye out because each oven varies. 

The Sauce

Pour 1 can of cream of chicken soup into a saucepan. Heat on low-med until heated completely. Add in your sour cream and cheese and stir for 2 minutes. If your sauce is too thick, add more milk. The consistency of the sauce is your own preference. 

Once the pillows (puffs) are ready, remove from the oven. Pour sauce on each pillow (puff). 

For my chicken: I cooked my chicken on the stovetop, on med temp for about 30 minutes and then another 30 on low. I cooked 4 chicken breasts in chicken broth. I also added salt, pepper and thyme to the broth. 


My kiddos got caught eating crackers and the chicken mixture. haha.


She's very into dipping the pillows. 

Dinner was a hit! My husband had 3 whole pillows and my kiddos ate all of their dinner (this never happens). Well, Witten refused the green beans and potatoes, but loved the pillows! :) Green Beans are one of the few vegetables he will NOT eat. 

Enjoy! 

Leave me a comment, if you try it and how your family liked it!! :) Also, if you try a different variation, I would LOVE to hear about it. 











No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik